Thursday, February 9, 2012

Is this a scam??????????????

I posted an add on Craigslist saying that I was looking for a job. Later I got this email:



Hello,

I got your email on craigslist.org and I am very much aware that you are in need of a Job, I need a Driver for my Grand Mom, someone who can drive well and have a good behavior. She will be in your state and city soon and that is why i need someone who is honest. She will be coming over soon but will get back to you with the specific dates and time. she will be going shopping Twice a week, she will be spending at least 2hours for shopping in a day. Get back to me



Tom



Then my reply:



Sorry I don't think I would be right for the job because my car has no air and I semi know the area started driving 2 months ago, sorry hope you find the right person



Then his reply:



Thanks for getting back to me.



Hi,



I have contacted my Grand Mom concerning the pick up and for other purpose which she might need you for, which she told me it's okay by her,i believe you are capable for this position in as much you will prove yourself a reliable and a good person. I will let you know her arrival date and time but do get it clear that your first payment will have been sent to you before then. I will be offering you $330.00 per week + extra $70.00 for Gas per week. A 2008 TOYOTA AVENSES car will be provided for you to drive her around so you don't need to have a car before you take up this job position. Remember that you will make yourself available twice a week to her schedule for 2 hours each day. Also i want you to know that my Uncle will be sending you a Check payment which i want you to know that the remaining funds will be used by Grand Mum for her travel expenses, accommodations and any other expenses(overdraft), kindly get back to me with the following details of yours below.:-

Full Name...

Address(Not P O Box)

City....

State...

Zip code...

Phone Number...

Sex/F)...

Age...

Kindly Forward me the this filled details above if you are good with the offer so that the paycheck can be issued out to you as soon as possible and i will appreciate quick response from you.Thanks and please get back to me asap.



TomIs this a scam??????????????
Call your police dept. community policing office; tell them what you told us and ask what to do next. An honest person will not be offended and a crook will be in the radar of the police dept.
$ 400 for 4 to 5 hours work a week?

Unbelieveable - must be a scam.



Contact your police, as the precvious answer states - and ask their advice.Is this a scam??????????????
Yes it's a scam. Report it to the site where the job was posted. DO NOT provide your details - it's a classic check overpayment scam. they send you a fake check, want you to deposit and send the balance to a "travel agent" but in reality you are just sending your own money, and could be investigated or even arrested for bank fraud for depositing a fake/stolen checkIs this a scam??????????????
Since when you post something like that in an open forum or like on Craigslist, scam artists find your post and then will attempt to get you to respond with information that will provide them with a way to use your name.



The best thing I can suggest, is to find the email address associated with your email, and google the address. An example would be johndoe@gmail.com, 9 out of 10 times if an email address was used before as a scam artists address, it will appear in the google or search result.



I constantly end up on Blacklistedemails a blog site someone made that has 1000's of fake emails that were collected from email accounts.
This is definitely a SCAM. Apparently, the scam is to issue bogus checks/money orders and get the funds from you. Then, when the bogus checks/money orders are returned, you are on the hook for the funds that you sent. There are several people out there who have received emails with similar verbiagee and one person that fell for it. I received a similar email asking for a driver as follows:



Thanks for your response and I am glad to read from you once again. One the first day, you are to pick us from the airport and drop us at the hotel. Our arrival date is now the 10th of July. I want you to know that We will be responsible for the car hire cost and the gas fee. All we will be needing you for is basically driving and that's all.





Also i would like to bring to your notice that We found a car which we have to rent. Its a Benz s550 ,so I will make arrangement with the head office of the car hire company and I will let you know before hand when it will be brought to your house. Also i am okay with your driving schedule .





Concerning the payment, I will instruct my client in the USA to send you the cashier's check. Once you receive the check, i want you to have the check cashed at the Bank, deduct the sum of $600 as payment for the first weekend service and have the remaining funds on the check sent via western union the car hire company so they can start the delivery of the vehicle (s550 Benz) to you address.





To furthermore, I will be happy if you could get back to me with the following details of yours so that the cashiers check payment can be issued out to you right away and have it delivered to you this week.





To proceed ,email me the following:

************************************

Full name:

street Address:

city:

State:

postal code:

Cell and Home:

Acceptance of offer:





I will appreciate your quick response if you are satisfied with the offerand I will be willing to instruct my client to go ahead and issue out the cashiers check right away for the payment of the first week and thefunds for the car hire company .I will appreciate quick response from you with your full details so as to mail out the check at once.





Regards

Murphy Borth

No comments:

Post a Comment