Thursday, February 9, 2012

Can you have something from general delivery delivered to your doorstep when you finally arrive in town?

I need to ship myself some things when I am moving.


Some of them, I will need the first night that I am there (like bed stuff, blankets).





If I ship these things to general delivery at the post office, can I ask the post office to deliver them on the day when I arrive in town?





Here's what the web site says:


Get your mail even if you鈥檙e on the road, new to town, or between permanent addresses.


Mail addressed to you at General Delivery will be held at the area鈥檚 main Post Office for up to 30 days. All you have to do is pick it up.





General Delivery is a great choice if you don鈥檛 have a permanent address.


People can send you mail by using the town name and ZIP Code鈩? like this鈥?br>




JOHN DOE


GENERAL DELIVERY


ANYTOWN NY 12345-9999





In medium to large cities with multiple ZIP Codes, you鈥檒l want to make sure senders use the ZIP Code for the area鈥檚 main Post Office. The ZIP+4 extension 9999 indicates general delivery.





To find the main Post Office in an area, speak to any Post Office associate or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).





Once you鈥檙e settled, forward your mail to your new address. Just complete and turn in a change of address form or change your address online.





huh? does that mean they will deliver it to me if I change my address online? How do you do that?





I might have to hire a taxi, go by the post office and pick up all the boxes and load them on the taxi, drive a mile to my house and unload everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment