Thursday, February 9, 2012

Is the following Job offer a scam?

Hello, some one was looking for an assistant on craigslist and so I asked for more information and this is what they said.



Hello,



My name is William ______.Its nice to read from you that you are interested in knowing more about the part time job offer.Debra ______ is my hiring manager so she put up the job posting on CL.I am looking for someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time. Someone who can offer me these services:Mail services: Receive my mails and drop them off at FedEx,Dhl,Ups(nothing illegal).Shop for Gifts,Sit for delivery( at your home) or pick items up at nearby post office at your convenience.I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job if you will like to work full time.But i am currently away to see my family.





I am in united kingdom so there will be no interview for now. I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content.The content of the packages are computer and electronics, clothing business and personal letters.





All expenses and taxes will be covered by me.You will work between 15 and 20hrs a month. How much will you charge per month? I will pay $400 weekly. That is not a bad offer is it? I need your service because I am constantly out of town. I will be back to the states on september 12th to set-up a store,so this process will be going on till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term. Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position..If you are able to handle it. I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy packages is involved! You can do the shopping at Sears, Walmart,Bestbuy,Circuicity,Oldnavy and other stores. You will be shopping for Electronics and clothings.I will provide you my UPS,DHL,FEDEX account number for Shipping.



All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS,DHL,FEDEX and shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them. If i were to mail you money order to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? How should your full name appear on the money order?I will need the information below:



Full Name..



Full Address.. (No P o Box)



City:



State..



zip code..



Phone Number..



Cell Number..



Age....



Present Job....



Nationality....



Sex....





I will be expecting your mail soon.



The address of the nearest Post Office to you for receiving packages:-



Name:



Address:



City:



State:



Post Code:





NB: Payment will made out to you by Cashier Check or Money order.

--------------------------------------鈥?br>
So what are you guys thoughts is this legit or is this some type of scam? Sounds too good to be trueIs the following Job offer a scam?
100% scam.



There is no job. There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money and maybe your freedom.



The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "assistant" and will demand you accept packages purchased with stolen credit cards, hi-jacked paypal accounts and spoofed bank transfers, at YOUR home address. Then you are suppose to use a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number to send the electronics, clothing and jewelry overseas. When the websites, credit card/paypal/bank account owners and UPS/FedEx discover the fraud, you get the real life job of paying back ALL of them. Then the local law enforcement comes knocking asking why are you fencing stolen merchandise for someone you never met, don't know their real life name and have no idea in what country they really live.



Another email will be from the scammer and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number as your paycheck.



Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.



Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.



If you google "fake re-shipping job", "fraud money mule scam", or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near victims of this type of scam.
100% SCAM - it's a reshipping scam and you can go to prison for this if you participate. The scammers buy items online with stolen credit card numbers and hacked paypal accounts and give YOUR address as the shipping address, then they want you to reship these overseas. When the real credit card/paypal account holder discovers the theft and reports it, they find the ordered items were sent to your address, and the police arrest you for dealing in stolen goods.



A friend's credit card number was stolen and someone charged over $3000 worth of electronics. The card company investigated and the police arrested the guy who received the packages. In court he claimed he was only doing his job and even showed emails exactly like you got, but the jury did not believe anyone could be so naive not to know they were involved in criminal activity or that anyone would agree to receive packages from a person they did not know, and he is now serving 18 months for fencing stolen goods



DO NOT reply to this person - report it to the site where the job was posted ASAP to get it removed and also file a report with the FBIs IC3 division http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspxIs the following Job offer a scam?
Too good to be true. What they'll likely do, is a current scam, where they write the check for more than they're supposed to, and tell you to send the difference back. Problem is ... the check is fake. So you're out the money you send them. Plus you get in trouble for cashing a fake check.Is the following Job offer a scam?
It's an obvious scam. They're asking you to buy stuff for them and ship it to them. When the cashier's check is revealed to be counterfeit and your bank asks for the money back, you will have already spent it on goods you have shipped to the scammers.

No comments:

Post a Comment