Thursday, February 9, 2012

How much would it cost to build a database for my website?

I am starting a website that focuses on the auto industry. Basically what I want to do is have a website where you can search for car dealerships, mechanics, parts suppliers, junk yards, industry news...and all associated vehicle products and services by any combination of variables such as business name / vehicle types / city / state / zip code etc. Initially, the database will have about 120,000 - 150,000 searchable listings.



I also need the site designed with some features like a "My Account" Zone that can personalize content that is displayed on the site. Have the ability to allow clients add their business to local listings in one or more categories for a fee and to "feature" their website within the listings with features such as higher ad display, highlighted ads, website links, maps etc.



Can anyone give me "ballpark" estimate for what a design firm may charge me for these services?How much would it cost to build a database for my website?
I'm a freelance web developer and something like could run you somewhere around $3,000 to $5,000.



It does not sound to difficult to develop. The hardest part would be getting the business information.How much would it cost to build a database for my website?
If the webmaster would have to do any level of grunt-work for the 100,000 listings you are talking about, the price will significantly increase.



But, if you have all that in a ready-to-handle format, I would say this would take about 2 months to develop, so you would essentially be paying someone 2 months salary.



If it's some super-pro-webmaster who makes 300,000 a year, it could cost an easy 70,000 or so.



If it was someone who is just starting out, it could be a couple thousand.



I just did a site for a nutrition company that had a ton of grunt-work involved... but I did it in exchange for wholesale supplements and 25% of the online profit. I doubt you will be that lucky because based on the type of work you are doing, most amateurs will be discouraged.



I would do it for you cheap if I had time... but work+school gives me about as much time to eat and go to the gym and sleep.



So, that's about the best guestimate I can give you.



PS do NOT hire someone online for an hourly wage, because I guarantee they will take their sweet time on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment